Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Needle Felting Part One

Today I thought I'd share a full view of the piece I used in the header of my blog. This is a machine needle felted piece I made about a year ago in my favorite colors of green and pink. Inspiration for this piece came from the book "Needle-Felting Magic" by Margo Duke

I had such a good time making this piece! I used so many fun things that separate, looked like 'nothing', but when artfully combined, definitely turned into 'something'. It's what the title of my blog is all about.


The piece measures about 9 inches by 14 inches, and it was constructed much like a crazy quilt. I laid fabric pieces on a base of dense cotton batting, overlapping them a bit and then felted them in place. Fabrics I used consist of hand dyed silk, silk velvet, and cotton batiks. Silk throwster's waste was was felted over the bottom left and upper right corners. Silk carrier rods were fashioned into the dimensional flowers in the lower left and mid upper right areas.

Tomorrow I'll post some some more information about the embellishments and show detail shots of various areas. Just too tired tonight to continue.



No comments:

Post a Comment