Monday, February 1, 2010

New Quilt, new attitude

Awhile back, I told some of my quilting friends that I was on "hiatus", taking a break from quilting and all the other stuff I like to do. Reality was a bit more complicated than that.

Over the last few months, a rather nasty situation at my day job was affecting my life, and frankly I was finding it too exhausting and overwhelming to think creative thoughts when I was spending my days with my stomach tied in knots and trying to hide my shaking hands from the person intimidating me and make life as miserable as hers.

I'm tired of it, just plain tired, and so I'm moving on. I woke up one morning not long ago and realized that pfttt...she will never change, but I can!! I refuse to be intimidated, I refuse to continue to let this eat away at me so much that I give up everything I love to do. Days at work will still be unpleasant, but it is only 8 out of the 24 glorious hours we all have each and every day. I can live with that.

So, without further ado, here is my latest quilt. I designed this quilt at the request of Kelly, owner of the Quilting Connection in Ames, Iowa where I've taught for the last 10+years. While this quilt certainly isn't great art, it was a magical experience, with everything falling perfectly into place. Kelly even used it in the ad in Sunday paper, I'm so proud :).


Initial drawing using Electric Quilt 5. Kelly asked for a simple heart quilt block that could be paper pieced and made into a small wall hanging.

Below is the pallet of Bali Batik fabrics I chose to use.

A block in progress...the colors are working well together. Even with a beautiful pallet like the one above, sometimes a quilt will just fall flat. I was lucky and this one came together nicely.
Blocks, a bit more progress...
Detail of the machine quilting process. I wish I was a better photographer so you could see the quilting stitches better. It's something for me to work on this year.
And wa-la, the finished quilt. It's been well received by everyone that works at the shop, and by customers that have seen it. I will be teaching a class for this quilt on February 12, and It's something I'm really looking forward to. I am back, oh yes I am :)

No comments:

Post a Comment