Saturday, September 26, 2009

Crazy Quilted Christmas Ornaments

These are some Christmas ornaments I finished recently. The pattern I used came from CQ Mag Online, and you can find it in Vol.7, Issue 04. Sorry, I am having trouble posting working links today. Google "cq mag online" and you will find it.

Rather than making my ornaments two sided, I chose to cover the back with upcycled dupioni silk from a thrift shop dress. It was rather plain looking to me and then the idea hit to add some of my small needle tatted motifs. This was done after I had completed the ornaments, so they are just glued in place. Next time I make ornaments, I'll take the time to sew them in place. Thinking I'd like to make a set for the Iowa State Fair next year.
Adding the tassles was also and afterthought and was kinda tricky, but I managed. I took pre-made tassles and threaded them through the burgandy wood bead and a brass beadcap. I tied off the tassle loop and cut the ends. Using beading thread, I sewed up through the tassle and through the trim to hold the tassle in place. Next time, I'll sandwich the tassle between the front and back of the ornament.

I am off to the Central Iowa Beadbash in Marshalltown, Iowa today. I'm hoping to find some new seed bead colors and some bead shapes to make some beaded flowers that I've been wanting to try out.

11 comments:

  1. I agree.... they are just beautiful. Somehow I just found your blog, and have been enjoying your pictures, which call up so many happy memories. So enjoyed getting to know you a little better, and looking forward to seeing you again.

    I've added you to my blog list, so I won't lose you again!

    ~~Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Allison! They will be gifts for my son's in-laws when we go to visit in October. Hope they are well received.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lisa,
    I loved your ornaments, they are so cute. I hope you've found new beads! I'm looking forward to see your new creations!
    Rengin, in Istanbul

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are just AWESOME - you embellishing is just beautiful and now I too know what to do with some of my tatting practice motifs. Thanks for sharing and glad you had a great time at your CQ retreat!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you everyone! You're comments are making me feel more secure about giving these as gifts. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Lisa, You ornaments are just gorgeous! I can see all the love, time and effort you put into them - anyone would be proud to own one of them.

    I'm so happy to have found your blog - will have to add you to my favorites as I really enjoy your writings & pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Lisa, You ornaments are just gorgeous! I'm sure your son's inlaws are going to love them and keep them among their treasures.

    I'm so excited that I just found your blog - I love the way you write and all your beautiful pictures. I will certainly have to add you to my list of favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, these are fabulous!!! Gorgeous colours :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the Christmas ornaments. I am assuming that you did the tatting also. You have inspired me to have a go at these.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you again ladies, I'm sorry it's taken me so long to say so! Been gone 3 evenings in a row!

    ReplyDelete