Sunday, September 27, 2009

Bead Show Report

Here are a few pictures I snapped of my finds at the bead show yesterday. I had planned on looking at seed beads, but I got side tracked by other pretties and items I wanted for my jewelry making.
My first stop was at Artistic Bead from Des Moines, Iowa. I wish I had taken my camera along as the owner, Cheryl Erickson, was working on a large crazy quilt! It's been fun to follow the progress on her quilt the last few years. Cheryl has several areas with large elaborate seed bead flowers. I'll have to take my camera to the next show which is in mid October.

I was able to find some nickel free antique colored brass and copper findings and wire from her shop. I have a nickel allergy and I'm always happy to come across these findings. Also pictured is a small purchase from another favorite vendor, Bokamo from Kansas City. the small silver findins will be used for finishing off cords on necklaces. My next stop was at Papio Creek Gems and Gifts of La Vista Nebraska. In talking to the family, I discovered that it would not be too far a drive to their shop when I'm in town for the CQS Retreat. I spent the most time at their booth, picking up several strands of dyed mother of pearl shapes. I was soooo drawn to the flowers! those will be used in both crazy quilting and jewelry.

I also purchased two strands of stone beads to go with the polymer clay art bead shown in the center. I believe the stones are jasper, but I forgot to ask! The art bead came from etsy from Gabriel Studios on etsy: http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=12669
I really enjoyed my all too short time at the bead show. It takes me so long to shop that these were the only vendors I visited. Many will be at another show in Des Moines Iowa next month As I shopped, I did hear many of the vendors talk about how slow sales had been-a sign that the economic recovery is slow in coming to the bead industry.

No comments:

Post a Comment